Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
      Monday, February 19, 2018

How do I contact the Ministry of Finance for information about selling fuel and tobacco tax-free on reserve to Status Indians?

  • 1-800-667-6102 (Toll free) or 306-787-6645 (Regina)

What types of tobacco permits are available?

There are two types of permits available:

1) Special occasion permit - available for individuals requiring additional tobacco for cultural or ceremonial events.

2) Personal permit - available for individuals who are unable to get to a store regularly. A personal permit allows an individual to buy up to a four week supply of tax-free tobacco at one time by reducing the amount available in the following four weeks.

How do I obtain a permit for tobacco purchases?

Individiuals requiring more than one carton of tobacco tax-free per week for ceremonial or cultural use must call the toll free number below to obtain a permit before going to the store to complete their purchase. Here are the steps to follow:

  • Have your Certificate of Indian Status card number ready, along with a pen and paper
  • Be sure you know the event details before calling
  • Call the Toll Free Number 1-877-455-7887
  • Answer the questions asked by pressing the numbered buttons on your telephone
  • Be sure to write down the permit number that is provided at the end of your call. Some stores will need you to provide your permit number at the time of purchase if buying more than one carton of tax-free tobacco.

How do I acquire point of sale (POS) equipment?

Retailers may contact any of the dealers at the following link to select and acquire a POS system. Retailers are encouraged to contact the Ministry of Finance once they have selected a system to ensure it meets current reporting standards.

Why am I getting "Inactive Status #" messages on my Point of Sale Terminal?

To ensure that the fuel and tobacco tax exemptions are only provided to qualified individuals, improvements were made to the purchase validation system.

  • You received the message because the number was either entered incorrectly, or is not active based on information received from Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC).
  • Please confirm the number on the individual's Status Card to the number you have entered into your system. If the numbers match, please have the individual contact the Ministry of Finance at 1-800-667-6102 so we may help resolve the issue.

Home/About Finance/Common Questions/Common Questions about the First Nations Fuel & Tobacco Tax Refund Program
© 2018 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.